Chemical Skin Peels
Light and Medi Peels available for refined skin and reduced pigmentation in Adelaide with Medicine of Cosmetics. Call now or book online.
CHEMICAL SKIN PEEL
Enzyme / Azyme Peels: $180 P/T
Glycolic Skin Peels: $120 P/T
TCA 12% Skin Peels: $500 P/T
ENZYME / AZYME PEELS
An enzyme peel is a product used to deeply cleanse and resurface the skin on the face by treating the upper layers of skin tissue. This product is called a peel because it literally helps to peel dead skin cells off of the skin. By removing dead skin cells, the face is left clearer with a more even tone and texture. Furthermore, by removing the dead cells from the skin, these peels help to promote renewal within healthy skin cells. Over time, enzyme peels can also help to diminish the visibility of scars, pigmentation and wrinkles.
An enzyme peel is often made with fruit enzymes that both nourish the skin and help to slough off the dead skin cells. The most popular are the enzymes found in papayas, but some peels and similar products also use enzymes from green apples. The skin-benefiting properties are also found in pineapple, pumpkin, and aloe.
Sometimes these kinds of peels are called restorative enzyme peels. This is because, in the process of peeling away the dead skin cells, the skin is restored and becomes healthier and more able to heal and renew itself. One of the ways that an enzyme peel can improve skin health is by reducing acne. By thoroughly cleaning the pores and removing dead skin cells that may be clogging the pores, a peel can help to improve clarity in the skin.
PRICE: $180 PER TREATMENT
Glycolic acid is an Alpha-Hydroxy Acid (AHA) which naturally occurs in sugar cane, it has the smallest molecular size of all the AHA’s allowing it to better penetrate the skin. It is applied to the skin in various strengths ranging from 20-70% for varying time frames depending on the desired result and skins response. It loosens the thickened surface layers that appear as dry, rough, scaly skin and stimulates the production of collagen in the deeper layers. As the uppermost layers are sloughed away, a smoother textured and healthier skin is revealed. Glycolic peels are used to treat mild sun damage, pigmentation and loss of elasticity.
PRICE: $120 PER TREATMENT
TCA 12% PEELS
TCA stands for tri-chloroacetic acid and is one of the original skin rejuvenation peels. They are recommended for men and women of all ages wanting to improve moderate to severe sun damage and or signs of ageing.
Superficial TCA Peels are designed as mild to moderate peels. Their strength, and therefore peeling effects can be increased, by layering the applications. The peel depth is dependent on the patient’s skin type, skin condition and desired outcome, though you will see a noticeable improvement after each peel.
PRICE: $500 PER TREATMENT + Recommended Skin O2 products for enhanced results.
|Skin O2 Mandelic Acid Peel (Acne, Pigmentation, Anti Ageing): $120|
Ascorbic Acid Peel (Pigmentation): $120
Salicylic Acid Peel (Acne): $120
Lactic Acid Peel (Anti Ageing): $120
|Ultraceuticals Azyme Peel (Dry, Sensitive Skin, Pigmentation): $180.|
Ultrabrightening Accelerator Mask: $120
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT CAN TCA TREAT?
- Improves photo ageing (premature ageing caused from the sun)
- Speeds up cell turn over
- Helps stimulate collagen production
- Blotchy pigmentation is reduced
- Freckles are reduced
- Fine lines are reduced
- Some types of acne scarring are reduced
AM I SUITABLE FOR A TCA PEEL?
Contra-indications (Reasons why TCA peels may not be suitable for you):
- Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
- Dermatitis or infection in the area to be treated
- Abnormal wound healing
HOW MANY SESSIONS DO I NEED?
We recommend a course of 2 to 4 peels, which is dependent on skin type, skin condition, peel strength and the desired outcome.
WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE?
TCA 12% peels have a burning sensation when initially applied, which subsides in a couple of minutes as it neutralises. During this time the patient holds a device over their face, which blows out cool air, significantly helping to reduce the sting. Cold compresses are applied after completion to help cool the skin.
HOW DOES MY SKIN LOOK AFTER THE TREATMENT?
- Mild to moderate redness and sensitivity (similar to a sunburn) lasting 12 to 48 hours
- Skin feels dry and tight with almost a plastic type appearance
- Some darkened areas of skin may occur (this is skin preparing to shed)
- Varying amounts of sheet peeling (like sunburn) will occur for approximately 3-7 days after your treatment. It is very important not to pick or peel the skin prematurely as this can lead to prolonged healing or even scarring
- Makeup is fine to use, though just keeping the skin moist often looks better and assists in faster peeling time
- After the skin has shed it is often slightly pink for 1-2 weeks, has a healthy glow, feels softer, smoother and is more even in colour
- It is important to protect the new skin from the sun by using a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) SPF 30+ sunscreen daily
WHAT ARE THE POTENTIAL COMPLICATIONS?
- If the peeling skin is removed prematurely, prolonged healing and or infection is possible and may lead to a scar
- Possible herpes simplex outbreak if prone to cold sores
- Hyperpigmentation (darker areas of pigment on the skin) lasting 1 to 12 months
HOW DO I PREPARE MY SKIN?
Prior to having a TCA peel, we recommend that the skin is primed with active ingredients for at least two weeks prior. This is to maximise peel outcomes, assist in speeding the healing time and reduces the risk of post peel complications. A specific skin care regime will be recommended to you at your initial consultation.
WHAT ARE THE AFTER CARE STEPS?
Now that you’ve had your first peel, there are a few simple steps for after care that you will need to follow:
Avoid the use of moisturisers or lotions containing active ingredients such as retinol, glycolic acids, perfumes and colours. Simple sorbolene should be used for 3-7 days or until your skin is no longer sensitive. Thereafter, continue with your usual Skin O2 moisturises unless advised otherwise.
Your skin will be a little more sensitive to the sun so keep sun exposure to a minimum. Please wear a hat and sunscreen daily such as the Actinica SPF 50+ I sell. This should be a regular routine for you anyway!
Apply foundation as you wish – especially Skin O2 as it is designed to be used on ultra sensitive skins.
Slight crusting and/or scabbing in particular areas may develop. If so, please do not rub or pick the skin as this may lead to a scar.
If you have any concerns or questions please call the office on 0421 952 996.
WHAT CHANGES TO MY SKIN CAN I EXPECT?
Expected changes over the next 7 to 14 days include:
- Day 1 to 3 – Tight, dry skin with moderate redness and sensitivity
- Day 2 to 5 – Areas of darkened skin (this is the old skin in preparation to peel)
- Day 3 to 7 – Peeling or slight flaking lasting 2 to 5 days
NB: LED sessions are recommended to follow any peel treatment – LED sessions are discounted to $50 per treatment (usually $80) when following any other treatment.